Thursday, September 25, 2008

Tried flock?

I guess it's kinda like, "Got milk?" Hey there girls! It's Crop Chick Deanna here, and I want to share a fun way to add more texture to your pages if you haven't tried it already.

When I recently got Camille's Sept. kit and saw those awesome Riff Raff chipboard wildflowers in it, I knew I wanted to do something special with them! I just didn't know what. Inspiration struck when I scrolled back through the Crop Suey blog posts and saw Bree challenge for recycled materials. I had been dying to use some corrugated cardboard on a LO, and thought it'd look great paired with some BG Offbeat paper and the Riff Raff wildflower. Wanting to add even more texture (and change the color of the chipboard) I decided to flock the wildflower.

I used Doodlebug velvet crushed flock, some liquid craft glue, and my fingers to get the effect I wanted. It was really simple, but a wee bit messy. I've found that it's easiest to use flock like you use glitter. Cover the chipboard with the liquid adhesive, pour the flock on top, give it a few seconds, then gently press or pat the flock to secure it to the glue. Then of course you tap the whole piece to get rid of the excess flock. I repeated the process to get a thicker coat of flock, and here's the end result:



Now others have tried their Xryon and it didn't work. Neither did a glue stick or tape runner. The general consensus is that liquid craft glue is the best. Well, that and Doodlebug makes double-sided stickers that work really well too. I hope to see you guys use more flock in the future! Don't be intimidated. It really is easy! :)

Oh and here's the LO that I made. Simple but, lots of texture!

7 comments:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...

WOWSER! Deanna,
this layout is incredible, I love the flocked Riff Raff, it adds so much warmth to it.

What a fabulous idea, and can you believe it, I've never flocked.
So I'm off to go and try this.

( I had to erase my first comment, cuz I can't type)

TracyP said...

SO so gorgeous!!!!

BeeBopp23 said...

What a beautiful Layout!!!!

holly* said...

love how you did this!

Michelle LaPoint Rydell said...

I love the flocking Deanna! I need to try this too! Your layout is beautiful!

jessicamae3 said...

Girls, I have to say, your team and kits are the awesomest!

copyright

please respect the hard work that has gone into not only the blog headings/buttons/blinkies etc but also the work done by the design team. nothing should be taken off this blog without permission. thanks so much for your respect and understanding.